December 15, 2016
Location: Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Date: 16-17 December 2015
The ASEAN Committee on Disaster Management (ACDM), the ASEAN Safe Schools Initiative (ASSI) and the ASEAN Secretariat held the first ASEAN Regional Conference on School Safety on 16-17 December 2015, in Phnom Penh, Cambodia.
The objectives of this conference are as follows:
- Exchange knowledge and share learnings on school safety programming
- Discuss and promote the ASEAN Common Framework for Comprehensive School Safety as an operational modality for regional collaboration and cooperation towards a programmatic approach for school safety implementation, and a tool for monitoring national and regional progress.
- Discuss the ways forward for school safety in the ASEAN region vis-à-vis new regional and global developments on disaster risk reduction, taking into consideration of the Sendai Framework for DRR 2015-2030 and the upcoming AADMER Work Programme 2016-2020.
- ASEAN Common Framework for Comprehensive School Safety
- Overview of ASSI and AADMER
- Comprehensive School Safety Framework and World Initiative for Safer Schools
- Overview of ASEAN Cooperation on Education
- Worldwide Initiative for Safe Schools (and ASSI’s Contribution)
- Country Baseline and Targets Template – Comprehensive School Safety
- Thailand – The Ways Forward for School Safety in Thailand
- Singapore – Keeping Schools Safe and Secured
- Red Cross Red Crescent Movement Engaging in the ASEAN School Safety Initiative (ASSI) (IFRC, 2015)
- Red Cross Red Crescent engagement in School Safety – a focus on Southeast Asia
News about event
By: Meimei Leung
The first ASEAN Regional Conference on School Safety was held on 16-17 December 2015 in Phnom Penh, Cambodia. This event was led by the ASEAN Committee on Disaster Management and the Senior Officials Meeting for Education, in collaboration with the ASEAN Safe Schools Initiative (ASSI) and the ASEAN Secretariat.
This two-day regional conference which took place at the same time as the ASEAN Ministerial Meeting on Disaster Management (AMMDM), aims to gather major actors and stakeholders on school safety in the ASEAN region to exchange knowledge on school safety programming by showcasing good practices, strategies, as well as tools and resources.
Asia is one of the most disaster-prone continents in the world, with communities having to deal with an ever-increasing list of calamities, from typhoons, floods and landslides to earthquakes, drought and heatwave. School children are always among the most affected, so it’s vital that they learn in a safe environment about disasters and what to do when they happen.
These pics were shown in Phnom Penh, Cambodia, at the ASEAN Regional Conference on School Safety in December, where government ministers from put together a regional strategy on school safety.